Benefits of Organic Food
Organic food are simply food crops or products grown with natural farming methodology without the use of inorganic or chemical substances like fertilizer etc. The standard of this organic farming varies from place to place, but generally, organically grown foods make use of more organic methods and use less or have stringent restrictions on the use of certain kinds of pesticides and fertilizers.
Researches and studies have shown that:
· Organic food has a higher level of antioxidant which is very good for a lot of health complications such as sickle cell disease.
· Non-organic or otherwise called conventional food or products have a higher level of the toxic cadmium, and are prone to contain residuals of pesticides.
· Organic meat, milk and dairy foods have a desirable level of omega-3 fatty acids.
· Milk organically produced contains a larger amount of total conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), higher iron concentrations that are very nutritional to the body.
Organic foods are produced without artificial additives like sweeteners, preservatives, colouring and flavouring. Natural manure system is used to grow organic crops instead of the use of artificial fertilizers. Not just plants, animals also that are raised organically are not given antibiotics or hormones. They are fed with natural food resources and treated with natural medicines in the case of sicknesses.
Are organic food really beneficial?
Several health experts say organic foods are really no different from food that are not grown organically. In fact, Healthline.com has this to say, “Just because a product is labelled ‘organic’ it doesn’t mean that it is healthy … some of these products are still processed foods high in calories, sugar, salt and added fat…”
It is vital to state here that your food is grown can affect your mental and emotional health. This is why, organic food still has benefits despite the disputes.
In this article, we would state some of the benefits of taking organic food.
· Organic food is fresher
· It is better for the environment: Crop rotation and other soil preservation practices help keep the farmland healthy. The usage of chemicals to boost soil productivity destroys the ecosystem. Organic farming aids eco-sustenance.
· Organic milk and meat are richer in certain nutrients
· Organic food is “Genetically Modified Organisms” free: “Genetically engineered (GE) food and genetically modified organisms (GMO) are contaminating our food supply at an alarming rate, with repercussions beyond understanding.” Prevention, Top 10 Reasons To Go Organic, accessed 16 March 2021,
AALSO READ: WHAT TRIGGERS SICKLE CELL CRISIS? — Part 1
It reduces water and soil pollution.
· Does not contain chemicals: This is a sure way to avoid the so-many chemical pollutions present in commercially grown food. Conventional foods are always at risk of contamination by harmful substances. Research has shown that majority of the intake of pesticide comes from fish, eggs, poultry and other diary products. The antibiotics and drugs used on these animals are passed into the meat and dairy products. A continuous intake of this can cause severe genetic and health problems.
· Organic food tastes better!